Amps

[Amps] Alpha 77 start up

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up
From: Jan Ditzian <ditzian@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:31:07 -0500
Paul,

I did some investigating and some testing.  First, two of the three
bulbs were bad.  I cannot get these locally, so I have ordered both
meter and switch bulbs on the internet and they will arrive in a few
weeks.  Meanwhile, I put the good bulb into the standby switch, and it
turns out that the delay appears to be working properly--the lamp lit
after a few minutes warm-up.

Now comes the bad part.  I connected a dummy load to the amp RF output,
and I connected the exciter rf to the amplifier (this is the first time
that I have done this), and I connected the exciter relay switching to
the relay connection on the back of the amp.  At this point, I saw that
the swr on the exciter swr bridge was high.  I double-checked all
connections, and used the same cable to connect the exciter directly to
the dummy load, where the swr was 1:1.  I then thought that perhaps
there was a stick relay in the amp, so I went ahead and connected
everything back as one would expect to use th amp.  I pressed the CW/Low
switch on the amp, and I turned the exciter power to zero and turned on
the exciter, and then brought up the power a little.  I saw some grid
drive at the amp but no plate current.  I unkeyed, turned up the exciter
a little more, and the grid current went up a little more, still near
the bottom of the meter.  I repeated this with a little more drive (the
exciter still showing a high swr, and this time no grid current showed.
I turned the amp off, and again checked to see the swr at the exciter;
it was still high,despite the fact that it should have been looking
directly at the dummy load through the amp switching.  Then I wrote this
e-mail.

Jan, KX2A