Amps

Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up
From: Jan Ditzian <ditzian@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:05:07 -0500
On 02/28/2011 09:49 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>>   6. *On the top of K5, no two pins are connected.*  AHA!  It seems to
>>      me that the pins on top are the contact pins, and that two of
>>      these should be connected at all times.
>
> Jan,
>
> I think your reasoning is good.  I'm not sure how the amp ever worked
> with the configuration you've described.  K5 has all terminals
> populated.  Two on the bottom for the coil and three on the top for
> the SPDT operation.  Coil resistance is about 300 ohms.
>
> There should be DC continuity between RF IN and RF OUT when the amp is
> powered off and the RF AUX ANT switch is in the THRU position.  When
> the slide switch is placed in the AUX position, you should measure DC
> continuity between RX AUX ANT and RF OUT.
>
> I'm not sure the vacuum relay is actually bad  -- or that it's simply
> not wired correctly.   Check for continuity on the relay terminals and
> if possible, apply 26V from an external bench supply to activate the
> relay for DC resistance measurements.  If it's still bad, I would go
> for a new 26.5V Gigavac GH-1 from MaxGain.
>
>> "The tuned/untuned switch does not appear to work.
>
> I think it's correct based on your description.  If you look at the
> schematic, the tuned network is a switched shunt leg to ground.  The
> tuned/untuned INPUT switch only has two terminals connected.
>
> Paul, W9AC

Paul,

Perhaps I was not clear in my description.  I did not actually figure
out what went where.  There were three connections to the relay, and a
continuity test showed that nothing was connected to anything.  Since
this looks like a SPDT relay, it looks like the center paddle is burned
off, or something like that.  I think that I may have a 12 volt or
higher wall wart that I will use to excite the relay, with the
continuity tester attached.

Jan, KX2A