Amps

Re: [Amps] Item # 170692212503

To: Sam Carpenter <sam@owenscommunication.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Item # 170692212503
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 18:51:03 -0400
On 9/8/2011 10:01 AM, Sam Carpenter wrote:
> These are two totally different amps. The one with the 4cx1500b is new and
> is basically the Eimac type 4cx1000 with more dissipation. The older 4cx1600
> is a Svetlana type (Russian) tube. No interchange except that Svetlana
> renamed the tube to sound like an American type (EimacType). I understand
> that the tube in russian nomenclature has a 2500-3000w dissipation but if
> they said that, they might have had fcc acceptance problems and downrated it
> for the American market.

I dropped him a note via e-bay and he ignored it so I'm pretty sure he
knows the tube is made of unobtanium.
I'd be glad to give him half the price and then rebuild it, but
certainly not as a collectors item.  Other than the socket and filament
transformer it'd be a relatively easy conversion to either the 4CX1500B
like the current production model or the much less expensive Chinese
FU728F which I think  is capable of about 60% more output or 2.5KW PEP
pr 2 KW nominal.

Seems like I had one on order, or was in the process of ordering one
when production stopped on the 4CX1600B.  That was a while back.  One of
the dangers of ham equipment that is produced in small lots. Parts can
go obsolete and we just don't produce much demand.

73

Roger (K8RI)