Amps

Re: [Amps] Different amp recommendations

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Different amp recommendations
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:06:30 -0500
On 2/9/2012 2:55 PM, Carl wrote:
>> Peak power over time in SSB is pretty much meaningless--that's a 20 or
>> 30% duty cycle.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> rob
>> K5UJ
>
> And more like 50% with the processor on in normal use and even more in

My voice takes a little processing, *very little processing* other wise
it sounds harsh because it has a very high peak to average, but it
probably puts the duty cycle at 30% or less where most voices fall.
I really dislike signals with a lot of compression or the ALC set so it
picks up every sound in the house or shop, much like the little tape
recorders used to do with the gain full on until it picked up some
audio. I find highly compressed signals difficult to understand.  I'm
not sure what their settings are but I hear a number of stations that
sound like they are in a deep well, or very large room with solid walls
to reflect the sounds.

73

Roger (K8RI)