Amps

Re: [Amps] Hi Pot Test Procedure?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hi Pot Test Procedure?
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:29:19 -0600
Thanks for the reply Brad.

I took the tubes into the office today.  The hi-pot tester there only
went to 5kV.  It was so fast to test I ended up going between the anode
and each tube element.  No problems on either tube although the tech
that was watching me was fascinated by the tube.

He's never seen a vacuum tube before except in text books, much less one
not made of glass or one that big.  When he asked about the voltages
normally applied (I showed him a spec sheet) his eyes got really big and
I got the "you're nuts" look :))  When I applied the HV he backed away
saying he's never cranked the hi-pot to 5kV before :))

Kinda made my day.............