Amps

Re: [Amps] Grid current protection HELP

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid current protection HELP
From: Paul Whatton <paul@g4dcv.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:47:55 +0000
Hi Rick

Being a lover of the KISS principle, in several amps I've used a very
simple grid trip circuit where a transistor drives a small latching
relay. I claim no originality for it except I've never seen anyone use a
latching relay in this application before? Ducks under the desk to await
a barrage of messages that say it has all been done before.

In my case it does require a manual reset. But I've found that's good
for training the operators who, in true Pavlov's dogs style, soon get
fed up with the effort of leaning over and pressing the button when the
amp trips. A high brightness LED alerts the op and an audible warning is
also an option if a sounder is used (useful for waking up an op who has
fallen asleep with the auto CQ running). So they sort out the problem
and retune the amp and/or back off the drive. Maybe the button should
also dispense a candy?

http://www.g4dcv.co.uk/GI7bamp/gridtrip.jpg

http://www.g4dcv.co.uk/GI7bamp/gridtripphoto.jpg

The relay I used is sold by the Maplin chain here in the UK:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/2a-miniature-dpdt-latchingrelay-37529

73 Paul G4DCV