Amps

Re: [Amps] Current thinking on HV supply bleeder current?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current thinking on HV supply bleeder current?
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:45:50 -0800
Thanks to all that replied, on and off the list.

It seems that the sum of popular opinion is:

(1) With a C-input filter, bleeders are a safety issue only, otherwise
just generate heat in the room, rather than fire in the wire.

(2) Wire-wounds can be less reliable than film types, even when run
within ratings.

... and based on my own observations after perusing the Mouser website,

(3) Film resistors are commonly available with voltage ratings up to 250V.

So:
(1) If I go with the traditional large, vitreous-enamel wirewounds, I
need to step the power rating up the 50-watt range in order to get a
1625 working volt rating, (per unit) even though 50 watt units would be
gross overkill, physically large and somewhat fragile.

(2) A PC board with a suitably large number of smaller-valued film
resistors might be another way to go. (spaced out for insulation and in
deference to Admiral Hopper)

Thanks again,
Jim N7CXI