Amps

[AMPS] 8877 rectifier board considerations

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 rectifier board considerations
From: N7CXI@SiliconPixels.com (Jim Barber)
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:25:08 -0800
Hi folks,

I'm at the point where I'm laying out the B+ rectifier
board for my 8877 project, and it occurs to me I don't
know much about component spacing for high-voltage (2800
VRMS, 3900VDC typical) applications.

Considering a .062" (~ 1.6mm) FR-4 epoxy PCB and typical
environmental conditions, (dust, humidity, altitude, etc) I'm
wondering what a good rule of thumb would be for minimum spacing
between the diode strings?  For space and PCB cost considerations,
I'd like to lay the strings out more-or-less parallel to each other.
There's six 1N5408 diodes in each string, (FW bridge) with no
equalizing components.

I realize the potential differs between points, but if
I wanted to assume that the peak voltage existed between every
point on the board, what would be a conservative spacing?  The
dialectric constant of the FR-4 material runs between 4.2 and 5.0,
and there's the air-gap to consider as well.

Thanks,
Jim, N7CXI