Amps

[Amps] 3-500Z parasitic wows

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z parasitic wows
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:34:12 -0400
At 03:57 PM 8/22/02 -0400, WA2BPE wrote:
>...Had this happen to me with an old SB220 destroying one tube; luckily (??),
>they were about to be replaced anyways.  Later investigation showed that the
>resistors in the parasitic chokes had increased between 5 & 10x their original
>value.  I was "fortunate" - only the tube arced with no other damage.

Which "this" is that?  A parasitic, or a random grid/filament short, or
arcing due to a mismatched load, or a Rocky Point arc?  There are lots of
things that can happen with a manually tuned amp, and I'd be more inclined
to look at other things to blame besides a workhorse tube that is probably
in more amateur amps than any other...

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower