Amps

Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A 3cpx800 Conversion Tuning?

To: "Robert Harmon" <k6uj@pacbell.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A 3cpx800 Conversion Tuning?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 20:49:01 -0400
Ive done several of those conversions using the Ameritron choke which is sold to/by RFP as their RFC-3, its $5 less in the MFJ catalog.

I use a piece of hard Teflon wedged in as a spacer from the blower which may or may not be needed if using 3CPX800 tubes and more HV; I wasnt going to take a chance.

As far as 10-15M tuning I do the armstrong method (only needed less than half the time) and open up the coil spacing a bit in the front. It doesnt take much spreading to reduce the L a bit and allow the Tune cap to go thru a complete peak. Looks neater than moving taps IMO.

I use a 76PA ( got it as a basket case as payment for fixing a Titan) at the second station and havent had a reason to do the conversion yet. The three 8874's from an upgraded to SS UHF government site will easily do 1800W with 100W drive and since I run low drive and 1200W out they should last beyond my expiration date (-;

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Harmon" <k6uj@pacbell.net>