Amps

[Amps] SB220 tune cap problem

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB220 tune cap problem
From: Bill Turini <mailing_lists@hamanuals.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 21:33:34 -0500
Folks

A few weeks ago I was in the heat of the battle in an RTTY contest when there was a giant flash and some arcing. On the way to turning my SB220 off, I noticed that the power output was north of 1400 watts and perhaps I had changed bands without retuning. No matter....

I opened up the amp and found that the Tune variable capacitor was damaged from the arcing. What didn't surprise me was that the plates looked like they had been filed down prior to my buying the amp. So, time for a new cap.

From browsing the Internet I see that Heath came out with a replacement cap that was heavier duty. This cap is available from RF Parts. But comments on the Internet say that installing the heavier cap just transferred the arcing to the bandswitch.

Does anyone have any comments on this? Is it worthwhile to get the replacement cap? Are there any steps that can be taken to protect the bandswitch with the new cap?

Thanks,

Bill

--
Bill Turini