Amps

Re: [Amps] Understanding S Parameters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Understanding S Parameters
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 22:17:51 +0100
As it's a 1W transistor, the input capacitance is likely to be less than 1-5nF.

Don't get too hung up about three decimal places of accuracy, reflection coefficients anywhere near 1 are prone to huge errors in measurement. As Alex says, the input looks like a capacitance in parallel with a very high resistance (or in series with a very small resistance if you prefer).

Up to 100MHz the angle of reflection is pretty much linearly related to frequency which allows you to calculate the equivalent capacitance - somewhere around 10pF I think.

Steve

Quite so.
However, at low frequencies the input impedance of a fet is about 1 to 5 nF
in parallel with a quite high resistance. You might say a pure reactance,
more or less.
On the other hand, terminations affect the stability of a device wuite
strongly and they can cause a state of negative resistance at the input-
particularly some feedback capacitance from source to gate dou tp imperfect
source grounding, bue to package parasitic inductance.
Alex 4Z5KS
On Jun 17, 2015 10:19 AM, "Markku Oksanen" <ww1c@outlook.com> wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly:
Is it not so that S11 refers to the input port "input impedance" of a two
port network?So, in this case the input impedance is just simply about 1
ohm with small reactance (phase angle -3.6).SWR at the input should be
around 50.
Without S12 or S21 you should not be able to know stability?
Markku