Amps

Re: [Amps] HELP...2x GS35b

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HELP...2x GS35b
From: "Thomas Hoeppe" <thomas.hoeppe@asamnet.de>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:37:09 +0200
Hello Jean-Pierre!

I am running two linears with a pair of GS35b tubes myself. You can see them
on my homepage: www.hoeppe.name
Your calculations are right. The more tubes you choose, the lower the plate
resistance...if you want full drive for both tubes! I would not calculate
1,2A per tube, as you will get limited by too high grid current with your
anode voltage. I calculated 1A per tube for full output, also using 3,1 KV
under load. Driving more will reach the Ig limit. You need 100W per tube to
get that values! If you only have only 100W input for both tubes, you have
to calculate the same as if you only use one tube. I made 2 calculations,
one for 100W input for 2 tubes, and one for "bad boy use". You will see that
you get troubles with the fix add-on capacitor on the load when you want to
cover both "modes". You need a load C with very high variation (high value),
or 2 different add-on C's! I have only one fixed C, as we only have a 100W
TRX at our clubstation. Why 2 tubes, you might say. It is much more
relieable, cooling is better, and with 2 tubes the gain is much
higher....the gain saturates very early at GS35b's with conservative plate
voltage around 3 KV.
It might be possible that you get troubles on the higher bands, because the
minimum capacitance of your plate-C is too high. You have the anode/grid C
of 2 tubes, plus the C of the large coolers against the wall, plus some
straw capacitance (plate choke...) plus C min. The total minimum capacitabce
might just be too high! I use Cs with a minimum capacitance less then 10 pF.
So you need a vacuum capacitor, they have high variation. If you drive it to
the limit, you get low plate resistance, which demands higher values for the
Cs. Higher valued Cs also show high values for the minimum C....causing
problems on the plate side as described. Sometimes it is a good idea to use
add-on Cs on the plate to get a lower minimum capacitance. If you don't find
a way to get C min low, you can use higher Q on the high bands (e.g. Q=20
instead of 10-12). However, the losses increase, and the stress on the
components rise dramatically. I = Q x Ia.....your coils, bandswitch e.t.c.
must be able to withstand that, even on 10m where skin effect is already a
story....
I use PIEL from tonnesoftware. You can play around. If you know your Cmin,
you can play with the Q to see what you need on 10m. You also get the
currents in the system....possibly a strong argument to change the plate C!

Good luck with your project!

Tom, DJ5RE in Bavaria.