Amps

Re: [Amps] Buzzing transformer

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buzzing transformer
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 17:36:43 -0400
> If the transformer runs at its normal temperature, then it is probably
> just a loose lamination - not usually a problem, just annoying.

I remember having a transformer buzz due
to loose laminations. I mentioned it to a
friend who did castings at work and he
said to bring it by. They had a vacuum jar
large enough to put it in. We slathered it
with glue ( I can't recall which glue it
was, it was not viscous ). He put the
transformer inside the jar and sucked the
air out while it was covered with the wet
glue.

It bubbled for a bit while the air was
being sucked out of the
laminations/windings. When the bubbling
stopped he released the suction and the
glue was instantly sucked into the
laminations where the air pockets had
been.

a couple days later the transformer was
dry & sealed up internally by that glue,
and that buzz was completely gone.

73,

Gary
KA1J