Amps

Re: [Amps] Why 2 3CX800s instead of one 8877?

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why 2 3CX800s instead of one 8877?
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 06:36:44 +0800
Ha. That's what ya call "thinkin' outside the anode."

Cheers, Alek.
VK6APK

On 26/04/2019 5:40 AM, Carl wrote:
Since a pair of 3CX800's wont even come close to running hard in a 2 or 3 hole 76A series amp then a little careful surgery will do the trick. Remove enough of the anode cooler from both tubes so that they will fit with about 1/4" spacing.

Dont laugh, it is just a part of hams doing what works when needed.
I modified several 8874's decades ago to replace the 8873 in Heath SB-230 amps. At that time they were cheap as full power medical and other pulls. My own SB-230 modified for 6M and used for portable and roving has been fine since 1985.

Carl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Colin Lamb" <k7fm@teleport.com>