Amps

[Amps] shielded HV connector

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] shielded HV connector
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:46:14 -0700
Some commercial high voltage power supplies use a modified PL259 type
connector. For the HV cable, they use the outer shroud of the male PL259, but
the RG8 cable center conductor sticks out about 3 inches, to give a long
creepage path in air. It has a banana plug at the end.  Then, inside the
chassis of the matching power supply, the PL259 jack is there, minus the
insulator and center pin. The aforementioned HV cable screws on, and the long
dongle of wire pokes into a mating banana receptacle, mounted on a circuit
board 3 inches inside of the power supply. I made it sound simple, actually
there is more to it than that, including a way to ensure that the banana pin
goes into the socket, then the PL259 threads are cinched on as the shield.

I have seen this on units up to 20 kV, so it seems to be reliable and very
cheap.

73 and Happy New Year
John
K5PRO