Amps

Re: [Amps] tetrode push-pull amp schematics

To: "Vic Rosenthal" <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tetrode push-pull amp schematics
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 01:52:15 -0500
I'm not sure the gentlemen's value assessment on the amps various attributes (other than the focus on clean) - but there is definitely merit to having done something uncommon - just for the sake of doing it. "I've got a home brew push-pull pair here" makes a very nice discussion topic in a rag chew.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Vic Rosenthal
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2015 1:45 AM
To: <amps@contesting.com>

The 4CX1500b is designed to be exceptionally clean in class AB1. I don't know if anything significant is to be gained by operating class A as a previous poster suggested. Unless you need a shack heater!
I also don't understand why push-pull is so attractive.
The easiest way to get an unbalanced output is to use link coupling as shown in the old handbooks. You can use a fixed link with a series capacitor as a loading control.

Vic 4X6GP/K2VCO

On Jun 18, 2015, at 4:26 AM, Charlie <charlie@drhabekost.com> wrote:

Brad et al-

Thanks for the replies. Lessons learned:
1) A Startpage search is not a Google search!!!
2) This book link is a goldmine:
http://www.pmillett.com/tubebooks/technical_books_online.htm
3) I still am vague on converting the balanced output shown on the "older"
schematics to unbalanced 50 ohm contemporary design.

Any further ideas along these lines? I too am thinking of a push/pull
4cx1500 amp, Brad. I am looking for exceptional linearity.

Charlie N6CFH