Amps

[AMPS] isolation question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] isolation question
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:36:33 -0000
        >Does anyone know how much DC voltage
        >0.25mm (0.01 inch) teflon sheet        can handle

The ITT Reference Data for Radio Engineers lists teflon as 1000 to 2000
volts per thosandth of an inch for thickesses between .005 and .012 inches.
This suggests a minimum of 10kV for your thickness. However, at that level,
you would need to watch out for air pockets which could ionise and degrade
the insulation. I don't know if a thin film of silicon grease would help -
it would depend on what the losses in the grease are at V/U HF.

73

Peter G3RZP