Amps

Re: [Amps] Henry 2K-2 failure

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2K-2 failure
From: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 14:47:15 -0500
Thanks Vic.

What has me scratching my head - why would it flash with no drive, just idling, with the event triggered only by changing the T/R relay from transmit to receive...?

(I suspect I am showing my ignorance).

Thanks - Mark N5OT

On 9/6/2024 12:01 PM, Victor Rosenthal wrote:
Just guessing, but you may have had a plate-grid flashover, which blew the plate meter and then damaged something in the grid/biasing circuit. Zener or capacitor perhaps?

Victor 4X6GP

On Fri, Sep 6, 2024, 15:49 Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com <mailto:r-emails@n5ot.com>> wrote:

    Greetings.

    Today I have a 2K-2 that has developed a problem.  For grins / out of
    curiosity, I thought I would see what I could get out of a pair of used
    Eimac Y-826s that had tested good some years ago.  After I tested
    them I
    wrapped those tubes up and put them on the shelf waiting for the right
    moment.

    The amp ran fine for maybe 2 hours on CW at probably 25-50% duty cycle.
    I was surprised how much drive was needed - really the tubes performed
    no better than the 3-400Zs I took out and set to the side.  Oh well.

    When I was doing some additional testing the following happened:

1. The little red breaker popped when I let up on the footswitch. So it
    happened during a non-key-down moment.  I let up on the footswitch,
    heard the click, amp now did not transmit.  Checked breaker - it was
    popped so I reset it.  Amp now worked again but plate current meter no
    longer works.  Yes, I know I should have protected it.  I am
    assuming it
    was not protected.  Oh well.

    2. Amp transmits just as it did, however, now the tubes glow orange
    100%
    of the time, even while idling at key-up.

    I am assuming this is not a sustainable condition, something changed or
    broke, and I need to not run it like this.

    I am also assuming there are multiple smart guys reading this who know
    from the description above what has happened and can guide me toward
    restoring the amp to operation.

    Learning by experience,
    73 - Mark N5OT