Amps

Re: [Amps] Why does power output increase?

To: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why does power output increase?
From: Adrian <a.fewster@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 21:49:16 +1000
Would it be beneficial to TX relay shunt a FT primary VD resistor on key to compensate for TX volt drop to the amp,

and still maintain a 5.0v RX filament feed for extended tube life ?

vk4tux

On 5/6/22 21:35, Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP wrote:
Yes, I found it here:
<https://www.w8ji.com/filament_voltage_life.htm>

He notes that the Eimac specs for the 3-500Z call for 4.75-5.25v.

What I should do is check my line voltage (it is usually pretty close to 230 here) and measure the voltage at the tube pins in standby when the line voltage is at the highest expected value. Then adjust it to be just under the maximum value. That way when it drops, it will be more likely to stay above the minimum.

So by setting it to 5.0v in standby I have been doing it wrong all along! Probably 5.2v would be a better choice.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
CWops #5