Amps

[AMPS] Lets chew on this

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Lets chew on this
From: QROKING@aol.com (QROKING@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 00:26:46 -0500 (EST)
Ok fellas, our gracious host would like us to start some stuff to hash over
about amps and the like.  How about this issue?  the FCC rule on power used
to be 2KW pep input.  Now the rule is 1.5KW output. PEP So what does this all
mean?  With this in mind, has the rule change let run more or less power?
 For example, if I use a bird 43 wattmeter and I load my amp and measure 1500
watts with it, Am I running more than the legal limit or right on it?  If I
dont have a meter that will read PEP how do I know if I am complying with the
power rule?  If I run 1500 watts on CW (output) is that legal?  A CW carrier
is average power not PEP , so in this case, running CW is the peak and
average power equal?  Now without reloading my amp from the 1500 watt output
in CW and I now switch to SSB, what will my PEP output now be?  Would it be
3000 watts pep?  If so I will be illegal right.  I would then have to detune
the amp to be within the 1500 watt output mark. YES? NO?  So why did they
change the rule on how power is measured?  It used to be simple, I think,
P=ExI so that P had to be no more than 1000 watts to be legal.  Now I dont
have a PEP reading meter, so how do I know what the power I am putting out
is?  Another issue, Some so called wattmeters that some companies sell, Now
are they REALLY wattmeters or are they  only calibrated power indicators?
 And if so, dont you agree, that unless your SWR is at 1:1 when you read that
type of meter, the reading will be true then and only then, as opposed to
reading it at an SWR of 2:1?  When it comes to measureing power output, I
will only believe a bird 43 into a dummy load, anything else would be suspect
to me!  Ok, so will this spark any discussion???
Please do not e-mail me for replies, please e-mail the reflector, so everyone
can be a part of the "goings on".  Oh, so how did I get my e-mail name?  I,ll
let  you guess at that one.......73 LOU W1QJ...........quality junk