Amps

Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:46:23 -0700
On Jun 2, 2006, at 5:41 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

> At 08:20 AM 6/2/2006, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 6/1/2006 11:55:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>> craxd1@verizon.net writes:
>>
>> The one  supposed test I seen on the net which was very flawed,
>> was meant
>> solely to  discredit the suppressors. If I were to have ran the
>> test, I would
>> have ran it  on knowingly squirelly amps
>>

>> Can someone tell me why some SB-220's have stability problems and
>> why  others
>> don't?  Can we identify the difference between them?   OR......Are
>> all
>> SB-220's not satable?
>
> My SB-220, which was evidently built by a very skilled OT, is
> unconditionally stable.  Construction quality, proper lead lengths,
> etc. are one consideration.  Another may be the tubes used - I have
> heard that certain manufacturers' 3-500s have higher gain than others.

Amen, and so far there is no explanation that makes sense.

> My tubes are all Eimacs, still going strong after 30 years.
> Finally, there were some changes made during the SB-220 production
> run that may have affected stability; one I have heard of is that
> the spacing of the tuning capacitor was increased to prevent
> arcing, which had the effect of shifting the weakest link to the
> bandswitch.  Whether any of these changes may have affected
> stability is beyond me...

Increased Tune-C spacing did not improve stability, but sales of
bandswitches improved considerably

> I did not mean to imply in my earlier message that SB-220s don't
> need parasitic suppressors, or that needing suppressors is somehow
> a bad thing.  This whole suppressor argument has achieved
> theological status, with about as much hope of being resolved as
> one of those debates.  Cooler heads have observed that sensible
> amplifier designers determine empirically whether an amplifier is
> stable or not, and apply suppressors if indicated.

Unfortunately, the test for fundamental instability does not test for
parasitic instability.
example:
W7MOI purchased a new Henry 2K-4A.  Nothing at all happened when he
rotated the tune and load controls with zero drive.  After almost 8-
years of almost daily use, he announced that the 2k-4A was perfectly
stable.  Within a week, he heard a big bang and subsequently
discovered that both 3-500Zs had grid-fil shorts.

> 73, Pete N4ZR

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org