Amps

[Amps] Rf choke coil form

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Rf choke coil form
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 18:06:27 -0800
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:46:52 -0600
From: George <at6c@bellsouth.net>
To: amps@contesting.com

I need a recommendation for a material to use in a coil form for an RF
choke. The existing choke is about 1.5" diameter by 4" long. I would
like to use ceramic but I can't find anything in this size, also what I
have found is really expensive. Recommendations?
73,
George
W2GS

## Go to your local plastic shop.  I have used both solid delrin rod  and and
also solid teflon rod.
You can get either in any diam you want.  Then drill and tap dead center, at
the base to hold to chassis.

Drill a transverse hole about 1 to 1.5 inchs up from the base.  And another
transverse hole just down  a tiny bit from the top.
Insert brass machine screws into both transverse holes, and use double brass
nuts etc.  You can wrap your magnet wire to the threads
of the brass machine screws and solder em at each end of the choke.  Then use
small ga wire with crimped + soldered sta-kon ring
connectors ..and install the ring terminal between the double nuts.   Then you
have an easy way to wire the choke at both ends.

Glazed ceramic will also work, provided it is tapped at both ends.  G-10 hollow
fiberglass tube will also work, but with any hollow
tube, you need a clamp, like a capacitor clamp to hold it to the chassis.
You can also buy hollow teflon tubing.

Later... Jim   VE7RF