Amps

Re: [Amps] Friedrichshaven - a new toy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Friedrichshaven - a new toy
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:12:31 -0700
On Jun 26, 2006, at 7:56 AM, Peter Chadwick wrote:

> Phil said:
>> If the price of 2400 Euros stated in the ad is still current, the
>> price in
> U.S. dollars would be $3012.33.<
> Is there customs duty, sales taxes, etc., to pay over and above that?
> One supposes that US Type Approval doesn't come cheap, but I don't
> understand why, with the FCC proposal to get rid of the 'no 10
> meter' rule, third party Type Approval  is necessary. It isn't
> required any longer in Europe.

There probably would be customs duty, but sales taxes wouldn't apply
if shipped to the U.S.  Shipping charges would be additional, of course.

The FCC hasn't yet approved that rule change (they have a bunch of
changes in the works, but nothing has gone through recently).  I
don't recall if the proposed change gets rid of type approval
(actually certification) altogether.  I suppose if one were to visit
Italy a model with full coverage could be carried home in your
luggage.  If one had another ham buy it and then bought it from him,
it would appear to meet the letter of the law [97.315(b)(4)], but IANAL.

73 - Bob, N7XY