Amps

Re: [Amps] Re: Step-start calculation

To: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Step-start calculation
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:39:32 -0800
Roy -- I calculated that without a step-start R, the inrush-I would be a bit over 1000A -- which is probably enough current to weld the contacts in the power contactor.
cheerz.

On Nov 20, 2004, at 5:49 AM, Roy Koeppe wrote:

I don't like to think about it. I gives me a headache.

73, Roy K6XK

"...What would be a suitable value of step-start R to limit the inrush current to 50A-rms?..."

In this practical & real world, it would be 4.6 ohms.

Congrats, Roy. The closest value in my junk box was 5.6½s.

2nd question:  What would the approximate inrush-I be without a
step-start relay and resistor?

cheerz

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org