Amps

Re: [Amps] high voltage fuses

To: "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] high voltage fuses
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:11:47 -0400
This also applies to the plate meter or any low-resistance current meter,
which nearly all of them are.

73, Bill W6WRT

Good info Bill -- and it's not a difficult exercise, beyond simple algebra to solve for the right series resistance value once the meter resistance is known or computed.

To validate a DC meter's internal resistance, I still use the simple method described in a ca. 1950s Allied's Electronics Data Handbook. It always brings me back to my high school days when as students, we were tasked to find a DC meter's resistance. First thought for the unknowing: just grab a <gasp!> Simpson 260 set on the Rx1 scale! The instructor stopped us in time. Anyway, that same math will also prove why sensitive moving coils are subject to failure without the limiting resistor.

Paul, W9AC