Amps

Re: [Amps] about the WARC bands of the Heathkit SB-220.

To: David G4FTC <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] about the WARC bands of the Heathkit SB-220.
From: S57AD <mirko.s57ad@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 16:49:26 +0200
It would be illegal but SB220 works (actually, it worked) well on 60m as
well.  Some 40+ years ago I worked for a business net on 5191 kHz.  By
licence, maximal allowed output power was 50W,  One day I brought club's
SB220 into my radio room, attached it to transmitter and easily tuned it to
5MHz band, with band switch on 40m, tune and load capacitors were set
almost the same as on 80m band.

Mirko, S57AD  (4NC24L at 5 MHz)

V V pon., 7. okt. 2024 ob 16:37 je oseba David G4FTC <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
napisala:

> Hi Kouichi,
>
> > To summarize your explanation
> > 1) On 12m, set the band switch to 10m
> > 2) On 17m, set the band switch to 15m
> > 3) On 30m, set the band switch to 20m
>
> Correct.
>
> > However,  need to tune and load properly
>
> Correct. Don't expect it to tune control to be near the expected frequency
> legend on the front panel.
>
> It will be very helpful to have power meters/SWR meters in both the input
> and output lines.
>
> Start by setting the load control to maximum capacitance. Apply, say,
> about 10 watts of drive and rotate the tune control for dip in anode
> current/peak in power output  on the external power meter. Adjust loading
> for maximum power output. Slowly increase drive at the same time adjusting
> the tune and load controls for maximum power out at each level of drive,
> and repeat the procedure up to 100 watts of drive.
>
> > You did not make any modifications to the SB220.
>
> Correct.
>
> Regards
>
> David G4FTC

Mirko S57AD