Amps

[Amps] hENRY 2K-3 FAN NOISE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] hENRY 2K-3 FAN NOISE
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:30:16 -0700
You can acoustically isolate the case using cork or rubber washers/gaskets
between the chassis and the cover.  It might help.  But most of my Henry
amps just plain had very loud blowers, and 220V ones at that, making them
difficult to speed control.  With a 120V blower, I bring the blower leads
out separately to a motor speed control (like a benchtop unit for an
electric drill) and adjust the speed until the noise is greatly reduced.
Often times, this is only a 20% reduction in cooling for a 70% reduction in
noise.  Good tradeoff, since the Henry amps usually have more cooling than
they need for an average "shack" environment.  -WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti