Amps

Re: [Amps] RF in the Audio

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF in the Audio
From: "W5CUL" <w5cul@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:21:58 -0500
Not to agree or disagree with any of the statements thus far on this
subject, I would like to add a real-world application that does seem to be
working fine with no RFI issues at legal limit.  This is just food for
thought as it seems to work well for me and my specific application.

I have an 80M loop that surrounds my back yard, and for years it was fed via
coax to a homebrewed balun specifically wound to match impedances between
the coax and the loop at the loop's resonant point. This worked great for
roughly +/-150Khz from the resonance point of the antenna.  Then I read an
article discussing a balanced to balanced tuner (two inductors & one
capacitor) fed with either ladder line or OWL that would open the
possibility of using the loop for other bands.  I decided to give it a try,
certainly couldn't hurt, and I can always fall back to the previous method
if it becomes too much of an RFI hassle.  So I built the tuner and first
deployed it in the study for testing.  That testing involved 450 Ohm ladder
line from the study through a window all the way up to the loop.  Even
though I cut the ladder line perfectly, there were still impedance
differences between the two wires such that RFI was experienced.  Then I
placed a heavy duty 1:1 balun on the tuner, between it and the station and
this did seem to clean it up quite a bit, but I would still get RFI on a
couple of the higher bands.  At this point, I knew the 1:1 Balun was doing
all it could do, but the ladder line itself has to be radiating as well.  So
the next step was to deploy the tuner in the attic and use a short run of
OWL from the loop through the attic to the tuner.  I then used coax from the
tuner to the station.   This meant I had to add a few more features to the
tuner such that I could control the placement of the capacitor and operate
the stepper motors via an Ethernet connection.  Once completed, I placed the
tuner in the attic ran a short piece of OWL from it to the loop, still using
the heavy duty 1:1 balun at the tuner, connected a coax run from it to the
study.  With the tuner in close proximity of the antenna connected via a
short OWL run, and a 1:1 balun that is between it and the final coax feed
line, I am no longer seeing any RFI issues at all.

Conclusion: If using a tuner, the closer you can get the tuner to the
antenna while using a 1:1 balun to isolate the tuner from the coax to your
station, it should work well in most applications.  I would also think the
same remote capabilities could be achieved using a link coupled tuner
design, you would need just one more stepper motor for the additional
capacitor.

73,

Mike
W5CUL