Amps

Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED

To: "W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 14:08:06 -0700
On Jun 3, 2006, at 10:48 AM, W7RY wrote:

> I sure wish Good Guy Ham would sign his emails... (That is just common
> courtesy). It sure would be nice to know who he is.

Maybe he likes to hide in bushes?  Perhaps he has an outstanding
warrant?

> The main issue with SB-220 band switches is because of the front panel
> layout, the band switch gets turned instead of the loading control
> when
> in tune-up mode.

I  do not agree.   Rotating the bandswitch in a properly tuned 220
results in a reduction in peak-V across the Tune-C and the
bandswitch.  in my opinion, SB-220 bandswitches typically arc from
the intermittent parasite at 110mHZ.  The arc is the result of 110MHz
energy not being able to reach the load through the low-pass tank and
running amok.

> The very late SB-220s and HL-2200s had longer tune caps. Or Heathkit
> made them available on a replacement basis. I have seen several
> SB-220s
> with them.

Late Tune-Cs were 4500v-rated instead of 3000v-rated.  The 3000v cap
would typically arc before the bandswitch arced, but with the new,
improved 4500v cap, the bandswitch would arc first -- which is not
good. news.

> 73
> Jim W7RY

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734