Amps

Re: [Amps] about the WARC bands of the Heathkit SB-220.

To: Kouichi Ueno <kueno@wine.ocn.ne.jp>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] about the WARC bands of the Heathkit SB-220.
From: David G4FTC <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 13:45:47 +0000
Hi Kouichi,

I have two SB220s and they both work well on the WARC bands.

The input circuit of the SB220 is a low Q PI network which is effectively a low
pass filter, so, if you want to operate on 12m, then you need to set the band
switch to 10m. Similarly for operation on 17m you need to set the  band switch
to 15m, and for 30m set the band switch to 20m.

The SWR input match to the amp will not be perfect (can be up to 2:1) but
shouldn't give your transceiver any problems.

The output PI network will not be optimum but it does tune and load and you
should be able to get about 900 watts output on the 30 and 17m bands and about
600 to 700 watts out on 12m.

Initially I was concerned that the anode choke may have a resonance within one
of the WARC bands, but I haven't experienced any problems.

Hope this helps

David G4FTC