Amps

[Amps] hENRY 2K-3 FAN NOISE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] hENRY 2K-3 FAN NOISE
From: g0ruz@btinternet.com (Conrad G0RUZ)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:59:05 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: amps-admin@contesting.com [mailto:amps-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of George T. Daughters
Sent: 28 August 2002 22:40
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] hENRY 2K-3 FAN NOISE

Hi,

Why all the fuss?  There has been lots of talk about noisy fans...

> vibration (superior balance) and better CFM control. For those wanting
> relatively quiet amps, remote blower mounting might be an
> option.

etc.  I can see the requirement for quiet fans/blowers and for
remote mounting if one is in the broadcasting business.  But why
not just put headphones on, and place a small, directional mike (if
you use a mike at all ;>) right near your mouth, and let the blower
BLOW!?

I've got a fai- sized squirrel cage blowing over my 4cx1500b, full
speed, all the time, and the tube gets, well, warm during the busy
times of a CW contest.  Air and cool are the friends of amps...
quiet isn't necessarily good!

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT

George I have always gone for the lots of air approach myself and had very
good reliability. If you want quiet then try water cooling or a tube with
handles run at normal amateur dissipation levels. Of course the chances of
that happening are slim, you will just end up running 5k + with an even
bigger blower. You could try a machine room with remote metering as well but
I like to be near the equipment, perhaps I am weird ;-)

Conrad G0RUZ