Amps

[AMPS] Switches

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Switches
From: w8ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:03:10 -0400

> From: owner-amps@contesting.com [mailto:owner-amps@contesting.com]On
> Behalf Of measures
>

> Because I know that bandswitching a 9-bander does not represent good
> engineering practice.  Furthermore,  28 - 29.7 MHz and 3.5 - 4.0 MHz need
> two additional tuned circuits per band.    How practical is an
> 11-position bandswitch?.

It may not be good engineering practice in your book.  However, it may
be good commercial practice and that has to be a major concern when
designing a product for a target audience.

Input bandwidth can be fixed by using a double pi, l-pi-l or other
more advanced network.

> So is an 11-position bandswitch.

It may be costly but certainly not as costly as a vacuum variable
and wide range rotary inductor.  In any case, one might possibly
resort to a 9 position (designer's specification) bandswitch to
select fixed "tune" capacitors to go with a rotary inductor.

> $4500 is no big deal, Joe.  I know guys who have over $200k in their ham
> stations.

Sure there are individuals with $200K plus in their stations.  However
there are far more who will (or cannot) pay $20K for an amplifier.  Why
do you think the 811 and sweep tube amplifiers are/were so popular?
Why do you think the venerable SB-220, etc have held or even increased
their value?  I'd snap up an L-7 today if I could find one for a reasonable
price (and, yes, fix some of its weak spots).