Amps

RE: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: "Brad Pioveson W9FX" <w9fx@neondsl.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: "Chuck (Jack) Hawley" <c-hawley@uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:59:51 -0600
I used one from 1973 or so until 1995. Great scope...on 8 hours a day for 22
years...not triggered unless being used...somewhere along the way, the fan quit
and ran that way for at least a year...didn't seem to matter...and I burned out
a 50 ohm input termination once and some indicator bulbs. I could see a single
3 ns pulse when I was looking for a digital design startup problem if I set the
single sweep, pull down the shade and turn of the ceiling lights at the
lab...put my face into the screen. I had a storage scope (466 I think) but the
485 worked too well to bother. As far as I know it is still doing fine. I
didn't care for HP scopes. Not enough anode voltage to see that single sweep
pulse if needed. It's a 350 MHz scope and Tek was always conservative with
their ratings.
Chuck, KE9UW