Amps

[Amps] SB220 Improvements

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB220 Improvements
From: realex at flash.net (realex)
Date: Wed Feb 12 06:45:40 2003
Tom,
In the mid 70's I went to work at Heathkit as a Ham Tech.  One of the first
rigs I had to work on was a SB220.  I replaced burned chokes/caps on the
tube
sockets and sent the rig back to the customer.  I then contacted Benton
Harbor
on my "technical assistance" line and asked why these parts were there.  A
week
or so later I was told they "thought" they had something to do with
metering.
Not much of an answer and I never did get one that made sense.  Bottom line
is,
there is no valid technical reason to have them in the circuit.

Personal experience with the 25 to 30 SB220s Ive restored/repaired/modified
over
the years indicates directly grounding the grids makes for a more stable
amplifier.
Sounds to me like the resistor and cap suggestions came from someone with
parts to
sell

73, Bob, W5AH