Amps

RE: [Amps] bad electrolytic capacitors

To: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] bad electrolytic capacitors
From: "Patrick A. Thompson Sr." <wa4tukhr@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:15:00 -0500
I've no doubt this is a widespread problem.

I replaced the motherboard in my Dad's computer and know of an IBM server
that had its motherboard replaced under warranty.  The symptoms are erratic
lockups or random no boot getting worse with time. Dad's computer was under
warranty but the company would not admit any cap problems and declared that
"electrical surges" voided any warranty. They will never sell to me or him
again.

The caps stick out "like a sore thumb" to anyone who has repaired equipment.
The caps are often obviously bulged with domed tops and occasionally the
case is pushed up off of the base.

An important question is where else besides computer motherboards were these
used? They are of the typical values used for bypass and filtering at 16
volts WVDC and less. I seem to remember values as high as 1000uf to 47uf or
so. I don't recall the capacitor brand.

Pat
wa4tuk