Amps

[AMPS] Making PC boards/Silkscreen

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Making PC boards/Silkscreen
From: billydeanward@hotmail.com (Billy Ward)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:04:34 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C1056C.2F508EE0

Greetings Carl,

It would probably take over an hour to author a letter telling exactly ho=
w to do the silkscreen method of making PC boards.  However, if there are=
 enough in the group that would be interested in learning how, I could ta=
ke the time to write about it Many years ago, I did a demo for a Ham Radi=
o Club where I started with the tape-up layout and produced a finished et=
ched and cleaned ready-to-use 4" X 6" board in 16 minutes flat. =20

I am planning a website devoted to that task in the near furture--say by =
Fall.  At that time, I am going to be offering all of the supplys necessa=
ry for the job. Interest shown by this group might be somewhat of a measu=
re of whether I should continue with my plans. =20

I will tell you that the ferric chloride method is something that you wil=
l throw rocks at when you learn about the etchant that I use.  It has a c=
ouple of requirements that must be strictly adherred to and other than th=
at it is superior to any methods that I have come across:

It must be well ventilated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It must not get too hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following solution requires NO heating, NO bubbling, No agitation!

1-part H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide)
1-part Muratic acid (Hydrochloric Acid)
8-parts H2O (water)

The boards are suspended in the solution and the reaction causes a thermo=
genic reaction and heats the solution.  It must not get above 155 F or it=
 will boil out of the etching tank--even if it is tall.  Adding a cup of =
Amonium Hydroxide will raise the danger point to about 187 F which is eas=
ier to work with. =20

But if you get your hands in the solution a transdermal  thing will happe=
n and eventually you will have Amonium =20
Chloride (from the Amonium Hydroxide reacted with Hydrochloric Acid)  get=
 into your urine and you'll flunk a U/A for methamphetamine.

In a fresh solution that used gallons as the measurements=3D10 gallons to=
tal, I could etch 24 4" X 6" single-sided, 2-OZ
boards in 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

To refresh the solution, add H202!

Billy Dean Ward
 =20