Amps

Re: [Amps] Re: Drake L7 newbie

To: R_Davis <WD8JJA@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Drake L7 newbie
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:06:35 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, R_Davis wrote:

> I know that the older amplifiers were marketed when the power limit in
> the USA, for amateur use, was 1000 watts DC input, instead of 1500 watts
> PEP output.  And back then, one tuned the amplifier in reduced voltage
> mde (CW, TUNE, however it is marked) for 1000 watts input (plate V x
> plate I). Then switched to high voltage for SSB.  This was supposed to
> result in still having 1000 watts average, or DC, on SSB, but with much
> greater PEP.  Hence, 2000W PEP input.

Hmmmmm, that explains why the L4-B is rated for input vs. output power.

> Given todays higher output power limits, can these pre - 1500W limit
> amplifiers be tuned up in high voltage or SSB mode for c. 1300-1400
> watts out (whatever they will do, up to 1500 watts)?

I'm curious to know the answer to this question as well...  Seems like it
wouldn't matter for CW operation other than greater wattage output on CW.
But for SSB I can't say...  so i'm very curious to hear all the details
from the others on this list...