Amps

Re: [Amps] Anti-Corona Paint AND MILD SCREW/BOLT LOCKING MATERIAL

Subject: Re: [Amps] Anti-Corona Paint AND MILD SCREW/BOLT LOCKING MATERIAL
From: Gene May <gene-may@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 17:23:54 -0500
If  VE3CUI/VE3XZ is referrring to "Glyptal", I knew it as a thick, gooey liquid
material used to hold screws such as on variable inductors in place against
vibration.  It is/was a "reddish-brown anti-corona brush-on dope", applied with
a small brush to the threads in adjustable components for semi-permanent
locking or "fixing", before final shipping.  It was analagous to the various
colors of "LokTite" that are used to lock bolts and nuts, except that it was
considerably less "grabby" and permanent than these LokTites, i.e., took much
less force to break it loose to make an adjustment as compared to the LokTites.
 The LokTites seemed to be designed for mechanical devices and machinery that
see much higher G-forces.  I've never heard of it used as an anti-corona paint,
but that doesn't mean that it isn't also useful for that.  Since it was often
used in commercial production, it should still be available from the usual big
commercial suppliers.

I've never heard of a material designed to be "anti-corona" and am interested
since I have an application for such a material.  I'm open to suggestions and
would appreciate any.

Gene May
WB8WKU