Amps

[AMPS] Thank You

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Thank You
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 98 09:48:02 -0600
>First you have to decide WHY you need a tuner; then the bands you need a
>tuner for.
>There is very little reason to use a tuner with many coax fed antennas.

If you have an old tube rig or a tube amp, then no, you really don't need
a tuner.  You just tune the output network to match the impedance of the
load (antenna).

However, if you have a solid state rig or amp, then a tuner is ESSENTIAL
if you are going to get any kind of power transfer.

Also, tuners do help to cut down on harmonics as the do act as low pass
filters.

But I agree with you that a tuner will not make a bad antenna any better.
 A 5:1 SWR without a tuner is stil a 5:1 SWR on the output of the tuner.
Your exciter just thinks the load is good.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden