Amps

[AMPS] Re: 4-1000A Impedance Variations

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 4-1000A Impedance Variations
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 98 23:00:51 -0600
>You are talking about measuring swr with a tuned circuit/flywheel at the
>cathode.  Cathode impedance, this is not.  You must measure direct into
>the cathode? .  .  One problem with a noise bridge is that the power is
>in the microwatt range.  .

Rich,

One thing I want to point out is that I got the idea of using the RX
noise bridge from the paper that Jim Thomson sent to me.  Again that was
an article by Irvin M. Hoff, W6FFC that was published in the January 1973
issue of Ham Radio.  This article was re-run in the March 1978 issue
which is where Jim got it from.

To quote:

"The easiest and quickest method of measuring input impedance would be to
use a variable impdeance bridge such as the RX noise bridge."
"When making the impedance measurement the high voltage must be on the
amplifier, and the meter hooked as close as possible to the place the
network will be added."

The article also references some another article:

"RX Noise Bridge for Accurate Impedance Measurements."  by Frank Dotting,
W6KNU and Robert Hubbs, W6BXI.  Ham Radio, February 1977 page 10.

We shall see how it works!

73,

Jon
KE9NA