Amps

Re: [Amps] Heath SB-220 Soft Start

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Heath SB-220 Soft Start
From: Geert Jan de Groot via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2024 19:58:09 +0200

In addition to what has been said already (all true and correct), Jim W7RY also used to sell softstart boards, the difference being that on his boards, the "resistor leg" of the boards have fuses in them.

If a relay fails to activate, then, while the current flows through the resistor, the fuse will open if that takes too long.

If you are worried about this failure scenario (I think it is rare and just replacing relays / resistors is enough) then you may want to ask Jim if he stilll has some left. He used to sell on ebay but he moved and I don't see him advertize.

One more comment: note that the resistance value is different for 110 and 220 volts. Order the right resistor value!

73, Geert Jan PE1HZG