Amps

Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage
From: "Jim Isbell, W5JAI" <jim.isbell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:23:26 -0600
Well, I have recently changed to Priority Mail for shipping anything
that needs careful handling because it is all hand sorted and moved.
When it goes into the roll around basket at the post office it STAYS
in THAT basket until it reaches the destination.  It is not manhandled
and it costs less than 10% more than parcel post.  I recently shipped
three VERY light aluminum tanks of about 10 gallons each.  If ANYthing
was set on them they could have been crushed.  All three arrived in
perfect condition.  I just received a KWM-2 (heavy) from Hawaii that
was shipped Priority Mail and the package as well as the contents were
in PERFECT condition.

Most of the time people ship only envelopes by priority mail so there
isn't anything big and heavy to bang against your package....unless it
gets up against one of my packages....#8-)

AND, to boot, its the fastest way to ship!

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:35:04 -0500, David C. Hallam
<dhallam@rapidsys.com> wrote:
> My wife and I sell on eBay.  Over the past few years, I have had to file a
> number of claims and found UPS fairly easy to deal with about shipping
> damage.  You need some documentation to substantiate the amount of the
> claim, i.e., purchase price, repair cost, replacement cost, etc.  All
> cartons and packing materials should be retained for their inspection.  All
> of this assumes that the shipment was insured for the value of the claim and
> the shipper made an honest attempt to package the items for safe shipment.
>
> At one time I had a fairly expensive over/under shotgun damaged in shipment.
> This was in spite of an extensive amount of packaging material and solid
> carton.  UPS paid the full cost of repairs without any complaint.
>
> One thing you have to remember about UPS shipments is that package handling
> is automated and conveyorized.   Items should be packaged to survive a fall
> of several feet from a conveyor.  It happens.
>
> David C. Hallam
> KC2JD

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."