Amps

Re: [Amps] General question on filament life

To: rbonner@qro.com, garymyers@powerc.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] General question on filament life
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:30:45 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2007 3:25:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rbonner@qro.com writes:

How many  bulbs have you had fail the first time you turned it ON?  I have
had a  lot.  When you are cycling, you will have results all over the  map
whether you step start it or not as each tube is an individual.   Some die at
birth, and some live to be 114 years  old.

I have been thinking about this subject a lot myself.  This is what I  have
concluded.  Since ham radio is an occasional thing we do with little  transmit
time compared to off time or listening time.  Seems like it would  be
senseless to leave your filaments running 24/7.  On the other hand if  you
cycled them
a lot that could be costly too, so for hams as Bob says it  probably makes
little difference.  But I think the ideal situation would be  to turn off the
filament when not in use and to bring the filament up slowly  with a variac to
proper operating voltage every time you use the amp.  It  would be a pain to do
that every time, but all that hassle aside, it might be  "the best" thing.
Of course you could argue that one mistake could be  costly, but I am speaking
only as everything being perfect.  It's just not  practical though.

For what is it worth, here is what I do.  When I go on the air I do  not turn
on the amplifier unless I need to use it.  If I know I am going to  use it, I
will then turn it on, it will stay on until I am done hamming for that
session.  I won't shut it off if I know I might be using it again even an  hour
later like after dinner or something.  I would NOT cycle it on and off  as I
needed it for a hamming session.  This is why I always put a standby  switch on
all my SB-220 amps.  Many times I did not use the amp and then  suddenly I
would
and then again I would not.  The standby switch came in  handy so I didn't
have to cycle the filaments.  You all notice that USUALLY  when a light bulb
burns out it is when you first turn it on.  Only my 2  cents.  Lou