Amps

Re: [Amps] Oil-caps delating 2/3 ratings?

To: higasa@plum.ocn.ne.jp, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oil-caps delating 2/3 ratings?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:48:12 EST
Han, I have lost two similar capacitors running at about 3500vdc over the
years. Both of my capacitors were purchased from Peter Dahl Co and were rated
for 5000vdc working voltage. I came to the conclusion that oil type capacitor
ratings are not as robust as electrolytic type ratings.

I think the failure mode has to do with ripple current and associated
heating. Both failures happened while calling cq for long periods in an EME
contest.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/6/2008 4:03:05 A.M. Central Standard Time,
higasa@plum.ocn.ne.jp writes:

Recently  an old man told me that all of the caps are energy storage jobs
and they  are usually derated for continuous duty to about 2/3 rating.
I thank him  very much.

I am using cheap 32uF 4500V GE non-pcb caps.
Should I use  it at 3000V maximum?
Fortunately I am using this potential level  now.
If someone use 16uF 7500V Arioso caps like Henry,
maximum working  voltage should be 5000V?

Would you please tell me the reason for the  "2/3 derating"
practically when using them for our linear amps?

For  a long time I had a question why GE had not indicate working
voltage and  test voltage but only "4500V".

Additionally anyone did a  destructive/non-destructive test on it?
Seemingly they are sustainable at  5kV, but if the number 2/3 work
their life should be very short.

de  Han JE1BMJ