Amps

Re: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor

To: g4ftc@hotmail.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:21:24 EDT
I don't recall seeing any info about hv crowbar circuits. Sounds  interesting
though. Where is the info?

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/9/2008 6:37:55 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
g4ftc@hotmail.com writes:

> By the way, for 40 years I knew it WAS  supposed to burn out and protect
> everything!
> And how, for  heaven's sake, did you get to that name? for the last 60 years
> it's  been called a surge protecting resistor!

But nothing should burn  out or need replacing. All you should need to do is
press the reset button  and the transmitter brings itself back into service.
Often
this would be  fully automatic for operation at unmanned sites.

The protection system  in a well designed transmitter will provide the
following:

Firstly the  glitch resistor will limit the current.

Secondly the protection system  will disconnect the power supply from the
a.c. supply

and thirdly, and  particularly if you have supply with high capacitance, the
crowbar
will  fire and discharge the capacitors

David  G4FTC