Amps

[Amps] P600M diodes in HT supplies

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] P600M diodes in HT supplies
From: EVonvaltie@aol.com (EVonvaltie@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 15:31:02 EDT
What reasoning leads you to believe that these diodes (fast recovery) do or
don't need 'equalizing' R's or C's any more or less than standard recovery
diodes.

I have always been skeptical of this anyway. I think it originated back in
the early days of Si diodes when things were several generations back in
semiconductor design. In particular, the early diodes had horrendously high
leakage compared to todays, enough to guarantee more than a few ua. of
Ireverse at full PIV.

I have the two following facts (not opinions, please note) to offer:

       1. I have not bothered with R/C equalization for over 20 years

       2. I have not blown a rectifier for over 20 years, even during some
serious condx
           of short or low-R on B+ line. I have used strings of 4007's and
5408's in
           supplies up to 4 or 5 KV.

If we are going to still cling to this old bit of folk lore, let's see
someone formulate a cogent argument in support thereof. Let the hand wavers
go work on cross-field antenna design.

Eric von Valtier K8LV

multipart/alternative
  text/html