Amps

Re: [Amps] W4GD Johnny Watson Amplifiers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] W4GD Johnny Watson Amplifiers
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:55:52 -0500
You have a SINGLE BLOOPER!  A piece of ham legend.  Johnny also made
the immortal Double Blooper.  When I was a new young ham, I attended a
ham radio club meeting in Memphis.  This must have been around 1973.
I forget which club it was because there were two in Memphis.  Anyway,
Johnny was the speaker one evening and he brought one or two of his
amps to show off.  I don't recall much except that he was a portly
southern gentleman and his amps were a thing of beauty, and that he
called the one with two tubes the "Double Blooper."     I was too
young and new to appreciate much of this except I remember admiring
the metal work.  Hams who remember W4GD still talk about his amps.  No
doubt others can fill in technical details.

73

Rob K5UJ