Amps

Re: [Amps] AL 811

To: "W5WRL" <wlawless@w5wrl.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL 811
From: R@contesting.com;Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:16:19 -0700
On Jul 12, 2005, at 9:13 PM, W5WRL wrote:

> Folks
>
> I am interested in changing the relay on the amp to provide something
> quieter. Do you have any suggestions? Vacuum relays? If so, who?

> Is there a way to make the unit QSK?

Hello, Bill -- If you can: follow a schematic, and solder, the circuit
on Fig. 7B on my Web site will fill the bill.  The T/R speed is c. 2mS,
so it's good for up to about 40wpm QSK. For SSB-VOX it is quite
delightsomely quiet.  I sell a parts kit for such that includes the
Matsushita high-speed RF reed relay* for the RF input and, if needed,
the high speed vacuum relay for the RF output.  The builder furnishes a
piece of perf-board that will fit in his/her amplifier.
-  Free, unsolicited advice:  The AL-811 has a reputation for parasitic
oscillation.  Thus, provided that you don't have a free source of
811As, it might be prudent to reduce the VHF gain of the 811As by
reducing the Q of the VHF suppressors.  Also, if yours has a HF
"neutralization" circuit like that used somewhat less than successfully
in the Heath Warrior and Gonset GSB-201, removing it will improve VHF
stability

*  Matsushita RSD-12V relay (1mS) sold separately for $9.91.

Rich Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.somis.org