Amps

Re: [Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?
From: K1SG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:21:58 EDT
Hi Carl,

Sounds like a good suggestion.
I went looking for suitable HV capacitors in the Mouser, DigiKey, Surplus
Sales and RF Parts catalogs, and found that Vishay/Sprague makes a nice .01
uF 20 KV capacitor that sells for 68 cents...but no one stocks them, and
the minimum order is 5000 pieces! I didn't see any of the .0047s at all.  Any
suggestions on sources?

Steve  Gilbert
K1SG
K1SG@AOL.com
508-435-9133

In a message dated 10/31/2010 3:37:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

Message:  1
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:50:37 -0400
From: "Carl"  <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
To: <audioguy@charter.net>, "AMPS"  <amps@contesting.com>

White noise is real but in an amp with RX/TX relay  isolation you wont hear
it and it may not occur with big diodes.

It  is noticable with SS receiving and audio gear and a single .01 or so
bypass across each leg of the rectifier takes care of it.

I like to  add a single .0047 across the full string in an amp and another
at
the  output to ground to keep any high intensity and transformer stretched
spikes from bothering the diodes or electrolytics. The one to ground also
catches any stray RF that the plate choke or its bypass  missed.

Carl
KM1H